Mental Health Training
Poor mental health affects one on six people in the workplace, and costs the government over £34 billion a year.
PeoplePlus has developed a suite of mental health training courses which are ideal for employers who are looking to build awareness in this area, and proactively prevent mental health issues occurring.
As a business who is committed to improving mental health in the workplace we have signed the Time to Change pledge.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course which teaches people how to identify, understand and help someone who may be experiencing a mental health issue. MHFA won’t teach people to be therapists, but it will teach people how to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis – and even potentially stop a crisis from happening.
About the Course
Every course is delivered by a quality assured instructor who has attended the MHFA Instructor Training programme, accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health. Successful completion will enable participants to become qualified as a Mental Health First Aiders. The course is delivered over two days by PeoplePlus and learning takes place through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions.
The course is designed to give participants:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a combination.
Delivered on your Doorstep
PeoplePlus is able to deliver this course for individual businesses. If your business has a number of employees (minimum 8) that you’d like to receive this training, we are able to deliver the course especially for you. This allows us to deliver it on your chosen date, and at your place of work if you wish. We can also bespoke some of the content so it is tailored to your company. Special prices are available for this, so please get in touch with us. If you’d rather attend one of our open courses, dates are listed below.
19th-20th February 2019, Edmund House, 12-22 Newhall Street, Birmingham B3 3EW
13th-14th March 2019, Portland House, Sheffield, S3 8UG
£300 per person or £250 per person when booking for two or more people per organisation (VAT not included)
This one day course is delivered by one of our Mental Health First Aid accredited team. It was originally developed by our Head of Wellbeing following on from a request from a client. He has now trained over 200 Wellbeing Champions and over 100 Mental Health Responders for one company alone!
The course covers practical aspects of support for colleagues with mental health conditions, or those in distress. It also covers:
- Attitudes towards mental health
- Breaking down stigma
- Understanding common mental health conditions
- Signposting to specialist help
- Mental wellbeing and how it can be improved
- Stress in the workplace
- Resilience and tips to build resilience
This course can be delivered in your workplace to groups of colleagues at a time to suit you.
For more information and booking, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07980 755666
This two hour online training course covers all the basics of recognising mental health issues that might occur in the workplace.
The course is delivered via webinar and will offer participants the opportunity to develop and assess their own understanding of mental health. The journey will be delivered by a Mental Health Consultant who will encourage participation in a series of quizzes, online exercises and text-based discussion.
The webinar is a safe learning environment which encourages respect and diversity for all.
The course broadly covers:
- reducing stigma and encouraging a more open culture
- how mental health can affect people
- perceptions of mental health
- understanding that everyone has mental health along with physical health
- conditions such as depression, anxiety and stress
- understanding the affect of drugs and alcohol on mental health conditions
- how to find and give support
- individual wellbeing
Mental health receives plenty of coverage in the press, and many organisations now realise their obligations and responsibilities to look after their workforce. Any business looking to develop their mental health and wider wellbeing strategies will ensure they are recruiting and retaining the best workforce whilst adhering to legal responsibilities.
By taking proactive steps in business to ensure risk is managed in relation to the effects of mental health will enable a business to stand out as an employer and ensure their workforce is supported and productive.
Developing mental health strategy is now seen as a crucial part of a company’s wider HR or health & safety policy. PeoplePlus will assist any business looking to develop their policies to ensure an investment is both effective and compliant by:
- Providing the tools necessary to understand how mental health issues affect a workforce
- Measuring change and ensuring businesses have the data required to provide ongoing improvements to a company
- Coaching the workforce to be mental health aware
- Training mental health first aiders in the workplace
- Ensuring compliance with guidance from the Health, and Safety Executive in managing mental health in the workplace
- Launching initiatives such as the Time to Change pledge to demonstrate commitment to mental health in the workplace
Get in touch with us to find out more