The Kickstart Scheme provides funding to employers to create new 6-month job placements for young people who are currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment. PeoplePlus can work with employers to get maximum benefit from the scheme.
KickStart is for employers of all sizes who want to bring more young people (aged 16-24) into their workforce through job placements. Funding is available to do this and more detailed information can be found below. To access the funding, the placements must be new opportunities for a minimum of 25 hours a week, for 6 months. For each job placement employers must help the young person become more employable, this can include support such as looking for long-term work, career advice, goal setting, support with a CV as well as developing their skills in the workplace. PeoplePlus can support you with all of these requirements.
Download our comprehensive guide here
The government has offered two routes to access the funding:
- A route for employers wishing to take on 30+ KickStart placements – for employers wishing to do this, PeoplePlus can work with you to support your applications, as well as designing and delivering the training. You can find out how to apply on the Government website
- A route for employers wishing to take on less than 30 KickStart placements – any employer wishing to do this can choose PeoplePlus as their ‘Gateway Provider’. A Gateway Provider co-ordinates the application on behalf of a number of employers. You can find out how to apply on the Government website
How Does the Funding Work?
- 100% of the relevant National Minimum age-related wage for 25 hours a week is paid monthly, in arrears. (Employers can top this up) including National Insurance and Pension contributions.
- A one off £1,500 per job placement payment to be put towards setup costs, support and training. Payment will be made following a confirmed start notification from the employer, and verification from HMRC that the KickStarter has been entered onto the payroll
- Where employers wish to take on less than 30 young people, a one off £300 payment will be made to authorised Gateway providers. You can find gateway providers here
How Can PeoplePlus Help?
For employers wishing to take on less than 30 placements, PeoplePlus can become a Gateway Provider; coordinating your placements. For employers wishing to take on ANY number of placements we can also help employers access additional funding, on top of KickStart funding, for participants to help them prior to, during and after their KickStart placement; providing them with key employability and work related training – which is a key part of the KickStart initiative that enables a young person to become more employable.
Here are some examples of how PeoplePlus can help employers access additional funding and training:
- DURING KickStart Placement – By using a proportion of the £1500pp funding you can have access to hundreds of online e-learning essential training courses. These include; Health & Safety, Compliance, and everyday performance essentials. You can also access our Employability Virtual Coaching tool which is an innovative AI programme that supports a learner’s journey and tailors training just for them. We can also deliver two week employability courses across a range of topics, in a workplace, to give your employees that extra development opportunity – and qualification.
- PRE KickStart Placement – PeoplePlus can deliver a short pre-employment session to all KickStarters, getting them motivated and raring to go in their new KickStart placement. Key employability techniques such as teamwork, time management and confidence building will be included.
- POST KickStart Placement – If an employer is unable to make the placement into a full-time position after 6 months, or if the young person wishes to work elsewhere, we have a large network of employers through our ‘Social Recruitment Service’ which we can match the young person up with.
Employers – We want to hear from you!
Fill out the contact form below and a member of the team will get in touch with you – alternatively, please email us KickStart@peopleplus.co.uk