- September 6, 2020
- Posted by: Charlotte Rodrigues
- Category: News
Today we are supporting National Read A Book Day. Reading can have many benefits not least, it exercises the brain and is a great form of education. As well as this, it can also have many benefits for your mental health.
Here are some of the benefits reading can have:
- Reduction in stress levels – it can completely distract you from the strains and stresses of the day, as you are transported to another world in your head.
- Reading can help you to sleep better – reading is a much healthier way to relax before bed than watching the television. When you watch TV close to bedtime, your eyes take in the blue light and transfer it to the brain. This causes a decrease in melatonin, the sleep hormone. Therefore, reading a book before sleeping is much better for you to ensure you get that good night’s rest.
- Improves mental stimulation – mental stimulation is one of the factors that has been linked to reducing the chances of contracting Dementia and Alzheimer’s in later life.
- Studies have shown reading can increase memory – by using your imagination to create what characters look like, plot lines and scenes it can improve memory function in the brain.
- Improved concentration levels – when reading you are forced to concentrate on the job at hand.